1 the time at which something is supposed to begin; "they got an early start"; "she knew from the get-go that he was the man for her" [syn: beginning, commencement, first, outset, get-go, start, kickoff, starting time, showtime] [ant: middle, end]
2 a compensating equivalent [syn: counterbalance]
3 a horizontal branch from the base of plant that produces new plants from buds at its tips [syn: stolon, runner]
5 a plate makes an inked impression on a rubber-blanketed cylinder, which in turn transfers it to the paper [syn: offset printing]
1 compensate for or counterbalance; "offset deposits and withdrawals" [syn: countervail]
3 cause (printed matter) to transfer or smear onto another surface
4 create an offset in; "offset a wall"
5 produce by offset printing; "offset the conference proceedings" [also: offsetting]
- Anything that acts as counterbalance; a compensating equivalent.
- Today's victory was an offset to yesterday's defeat.
- In the context of "international trade": A form of countertrade arrangement, in which the seller agrees to purchase within a set time frame products of a certain value from the the buying country. This kind of deals are often used in large international public sector contracts such as arms sales.
- A time at which
something begins; outset.
- You can hear the gun go off at the offset of the race.
- Offset printing.
- The difference between a target memory address and a base
- An array of bytes uses its index as the offset, of words a multiple thereof.
- The distance by
which one thing is out of alignment with another.
- There is a small offset between the switch and the indicator which some users found confusing.
- Finnish: kompensaatiokauppa
time at which something begins
- Finnish: alku, aloitus
difference in memory addresses
- Spanish: desplazamiento
distance by which one thing is out of alignment with another
- To compensate for
- I'll offset the time difference locally.
to compensate for something
- Finnish: kompensoida, korvata
- French: compenser, contrebalancer
- Spanish: compensar
The term offset may refer to:
- Carbon offset
- Offset (computer science), A number indicating the distance (displacement) from the start of a data structure object and up to a given element
- Offset (gears)
- Offset (wheel), An important dimension of a vehicle wheel
- Offset dish antenna, A type of satellite dish
- Offset loan (finance), A type of flexible lending arrangement
- Offset printing
- Offset Software, a game development company
- Project Offset, the working title for a first-person shooter video game by Offset Software
- Offsets, Layers of plants in the plant nursery business
- Displacement (vector), specifies the position of a point or a particle in reference to an origin or to a previous position
offset in German: Offset
offset in Spanish: Offset
offset in French: Offset
offset in Italian: Offset
offset in Japanese: オフセット
offset in Polish: Offset
absorb the shock, albertype, analog process, annul, antacid, antidote, antipode, antipodes, antipole, antithesis, antonym, atone for, balance, ballast, be at cross-purposes, be opposed to, behavior pattern, book printing, branch, break the fall, bring to nothing, buffer, cancel, cancel out, check, chromotypography, chromotypy, chromoxylography, clash, collotype, color printing, come to nothing, compensate, compensation, conflict, conflict with, consideration, contra, contradict, contrapose, contrast with, contravene, controvert, converse, counter, counteract, counteractant, counteraction, counteractive, counteragent, counterbalance, countercheck, counterirritant, counterpoint, counterpoise, counterpole, counterpose, counterterm, countervail, counterweigh, counterweight, counterwork, cushion, damp, dampen, deaden, digital process, electronography, electrostatic printing, equalize, equalizer, equipoise, equiponderate, equivalent, even out, even up, feeling, filiation, foil, frustrate, give-and-take, graphic arts, gravure, halftone engraving, history of printing, hunting, impress, impression, imprint, indemnify, input oscillation, invalidate, inverse, job printing, juxtapose in opposition, letterpress, letterpress photoengraving, line engraving, lithography, lithogravure, lithophotogravure, mackle, make amends, make good, make restitution, make up, make up for, makeweight, mimeograph, negate, negativate, negative, neutralize, neutralizer, nullifier, nullify, obverse, offcut, offprint, offset lithography, offshoot, onset, oppose, opposite, opposite number, oppugn, oscillatory behavior, outweigh, overcorrection of error, overshoot, palaeotypography, photo-offset, photochemical process, photoengraving, photogelatin process, photographic reproduction, photography, photolithography, phototypography, phototypy, photozincography, planographic printing, planography, play at cross-purposes, preventative, preventive, print, printing, printmaking, process, prophylactic, publication, publishing, quid pro quo, recompense, redeem, redress, reimburse, reissue, relief printing, remedy, repay, reprint, reverse, rotary photogravure, rotogravure, run counter to, self-excitation, set off, setoff, sheetwork, shoot, show consideration, show mercy, show pity, soften, soften the blow, something of value, sprout, square, square up, stamp, stencil, stop, stultify, suppress, the contrary, the other side, three-color printing, thwart, tit for tat, two-color printing, typography, typolithography, undo, vis-a-vis, vitiate, void, wood-block printing, xerography, xeroprinting, xylotypography, zincography